"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Shoe Shopping

**warning, long, detailed post ahead -
I didn't want to forget anything**

For a few months I've been looking forward to the day I would go to a running store and get fitted for "real" running shoes. Basically, I got really excited for....nothing really spectacular. Don't get me wrong, the service at The Runner was wonderful, the man very knowledgeable and I will go back there when I need new shoes again, but I think I set myself up with much higher expectations.

I went thinking I would find out I overpronate and that's why my hip hurt. Then I would try on Sauconys and they would be so amazing I would feel like I was running on air.

First off, I don't overpronate more than normal, just barely. He said my shoes I came in with were just worn down and that was most likely the cause of my pain. I told him I just bought them in January and he said, "Yea, six months, that's about right." He asked how often I run and what kinds of distances. I explained, a little embarrassed, I have trained and run only one 5K and am a beginner. He stuck with his original comment that it's just about time for new ones with that kind of mileage put on my shoes.

He measured my foot and brought out four brands of tennis...in a half size bigger than what I was wearing. He explained the half step up was because I need room for swelling when I run. If I ran more than 5K at a time he would've gone up a whole step. (That's just plain interesting to me...these are details the mall people rarely know I'm sure.)

If I remember correctly he brought out Nike, Saucony, Asics and Brooks. I tried one on each food and each time the Nike felt better.

Yes, almost to my despair, the Sauconys were nothing more than another new running shoe and when compared to the Nike I kind of liked the Nike better. I told the salesman that I had expected to feel this amazing shoe on my foot when I tried the Saucony on and his take on it was, "These four shoes are basically all the same shoe, but by different makers. It's just a personal preference as to what will feel better on your foot, but they are the same in quality."

This is good, but I really had to fight through the thoughts of "Get Sauconys - everyone says they are awesome and they'll help you run better!!" In reality, the Nikes felt fine and I've worn and always preferred Nikes for years. The peer pressure was speaking in full force in my mind, but I had to stick with the reality that the Nike felt fine and the Saucony was no great step up - not for me anyway.

I even shared some of this thinking with him and he said I was smart to go with what feels better for me. Honestly, I felt better knowing he looked like he runs and he was wearing Nike. :)

So, I didn't have any great revelation or began walking on clouds with a new pair of shoes I'd never heard about until this past year, but my husband did.

He ended up having his feet checked because he suffers from shin splits EVERY time he runs and come to find out...he has BAD overpronation. Just standing the salesman kind of chuckled and said, "Oh yea. He's bad."

My husband who has had foot pain just with daily standing (but puts off getting orthotics) and shin splits even when barely jogging left the store with a pair of Brooks running shoes that look like orthotics. Though he HATED how they look he said they were the shoe that felt more stable of the two he tried on, and the salesman said that's what he needs.

The salesman was trying not to chuckle while watching my husband grimace at the look of the shoe. He said they call it "frankenboot", but they really do the job for people that overpronate as badly as my husband. I was laughing out loud, but kept encouraging my husband that he'll finally be pain free and can run again.

So, my husband said it's hard for his pride to think of wearing them, but knowing he will be able to run again makes it a little better. (I am going to tell him I read yesterday that Tricia got custom orthotics and can now wear nicer running shoes, so maybe he'll do that next time he needs new shoes.)

To sum it up, it was a good learning experience and I'm pleased with my purchase, though the exciting part was more for my husband than me. I simply learned that's I'm pretty normal and once again that peer pressure isn't always right. That being said, I will definitely go back to a running store when it's time for a new pair.

Oh, and I'll keep you posted on Mr. Frankenboot. :)

5 comments:

  1. It's worth it to have someone help you with shoes. I was so convinced I needed Asics because that was what all the runners were wearing. I was so disappointed that they felt awful on my feet. Then I was told the Saucony shoes had a wider toe box, which would fit my feet better and she was right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe your son actually licks the cow tongue! You should have seen my face reading that. I'm pretty sure my mouth was opened! LOL He should invite his friends over and do that around them. haha! My husband made it, but he did take the outer layer off. It was so thick! And it was like sand paper! It grossed me out a little. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah! I wear Nike's too! There is no magic about the brand. Every time I need new shoes I try other brands, but I always end up with Nike's because they fit my feet the best. Too funny about your husband's new "special" shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to LOL while reading your post on getting the right running shoe!
    When I first started running, I was wearing a $30 pair of shoes from walmart and quickly started getting a pain along the side of my foot. So when I had to invest money in great shoes, I did my research. I found I have a high arch and needed a shoe with great cushioning and shock absorbsion. I KNEW the shoe for me was the Mizuno wave creation 10!! I walked into the running shoe store and told him what I wanted! He looked at my arch, watched me run down a well lite hallway and told me that wasn't the shoe I wanted. I informed him YES IT IS. So he brought a pair out for me and they fit nice. I ran up and down the hall way. Nice. Then he brought out the 2 pair HE felt I needed. First pair was nice. Second pair (the Sauconys) were IT!
    I think everyone has their favorites that works for them. My daughter loves Asiacs. She has Brooks right now that she also likes because they come with spikes she can use if she wants for running up dirt trail hills.
    The main thing is you found YOUR pair. Can't wait to read how they feel after the next few runs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I also like the pro stores. Something the guy said to me is that these name brands also sell cheaper versions with cheaper quality at regular stores. So your Nike there is probably better than the ones bought at Store-X.

    I'm glad your hubby cowboyed-up and did what he had to do to help him and not get a complex about it. You've got a real man, there.

    ReplyDelete