"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Anonymous

Monday, July 26, 2010

I'll Start Monday Tomorrow

On Saturday I was having a moment. I was slightly vexed with the gain, and dealing with some nagging feelings about things that need to change to help me. They weren't anything new, just things I've avoided doing for whatever reason we avoid doing what's best for us sometimes.

One of those changes is that I think it really is best for me to get up early to walk in the mornings. Yes, there will be times that it will be too cold, or it will rain, etc. etc. But for right now, in the middle of summer break, getting up to walk before starting my day is the best idea.

I actually had this idea back in May, but decided I wanted to be able to sleep in. Funny, how workouts just haven't been the same, even though I've enjoyed mornings sleeping until 7:30/8:00. Not so funny is how bummed it has had me to not get regular exercise in.

So, I called my faithful weight loss friend, Stephanie, and told her I was going to start getting up early to walk. I told her I am going to be accountable to it here on my blog, but I also needed to be accountable to a person as well. As always she spoke some wonderful words of insight and encouragement to me, and after I got off the phone I thought to myself, "I'll start tomorrow."

The thought went through my head that I could just wait and start on Monday, since 'tomorrow' was Sunday and we have busy Sunday mornings getting ready for church, but nope. I needed to start right away and I knew I could fit in a 30-minute walk if I got going by 6:30. No putting off until Monday what could start the next day. :)

Just to prove that I did indeed get up I took a picture of myself after my morning walk (yep, no makeup for this early bird...scary...). I actually did walk/jog intervals for at least 15 minutes, so the heart and lungs got a good workout as well. :) I had already wiped my face here...though it is cooler in the mornings it's still HUMID. whew.


I got up again this morning to walk, even though I stayed up late last night. It felt good when I showered later in the morning to know that my exercise was done for the day. In fact, my husband is home and we just made some spur of the moment plans to do something with the kids this evening and it's nice to know I don't have to worry about getting home to workout, or squeezing one in between now and then.

Oh, and my commitment is to do this at least five days a week for the month of August. I've already decided that if it's raining out I'll do a workout DVD in the house, but I will still get up and exercise. My hope is by the end of August I will be closer to having this set as a good habit in my life. :)

Have a great week everyone!


5 comments:

  1. I am so with you on this one!! I am such a morning person anyway, that getting my walking in early makes me more productive all day. And you are right - there's something mentally rewarding just knowing the exercise is done.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on setting a goal and not waiting to start! Good job on the interval running, too.

    You asked me about my Garmin. No, it does not feel sweaty. My model is actually quite big and I worried about that, but it hasn't bothered me one bit. I think you should put it on your wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Leah, love getting sweaty, makes me feel accomplished ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goal...and not waiting until Monday is an awesome start. I use to get up early to workout....and I probably still should because all of those things you listed as the positives are SOOO true. Who doesn't want to start their day off in the positive?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are like me now! (Just kidding.) I have learned over the years that if I don't get my workout done first thing it sometimes slips through my fingers. I love how you didn't wait - but started right away.

    ReplyDelete